Have a walk outdoors (no entries) through the most characteristic and important places for the history of Venice.
A qualified and experienced guide will escort you through the millennium of life of the Serenissima Republic, recalling the past full of charm of this unique city. An essential tour for the understanding of Venice!!
- Piazza San Marco - Origins, history and description of the main monuments: Basilica San Marco, Palazzo Ducale, Bell Tower, Clock Tower and Procuratie.
- Santa Maria Formosa - History and anecdotes related to this wonderful and characteristic square. Campo SS. Giovanni e Paolo - The "Pantheon" of Venice, the Great School of Charity, the Captains of fortune. Marco Polo’s House and Malibran Theatre - Anecdotes and past and recent history cross each other in this beautiful corner of Venice.
- Return to San Marco through the Mercerie, vital connection between Rialto and San Marco and the main street for the city shopping.
- After, you visit the Palazzo Ducale which represented for centuries the seat of the Venetian political power. In his splendid rooms, plastered and immersed in hundreds of masterpieces of painting, the Duke and his Council controlled the fate of a thousand-year history republic. You’ll live it together with a Guide that will show you the halls of power, plunging you in a very particular historical context: the European Middle Ages and the immediately following centuries.
You’ll be surprised of the rich details of the gold staircase, of the realism of the scenes depicted by many artists who have decorated this building, you will relive the anguish of the prisoners crossing the famous Bridge of Sighs, and entering the Venetian prisons, famous for hosting Giacomo Casanova.
An unforgettable tour not to be missed!
You may visit by yourself the other magnificent palaces around St. Mark’s Square under the name of Procuratie with the same ticket! You will discover the way of life of the venetians, with paintings, library, coinage, sculpture. You will be entered in the secrets of Venice Empire, with description of Arsenale who produced the famous battleship Galea. You will visit the area built by Napoleon and the rooms restored for Sissi Empress Austria.
At the end of your activity you will have the opportunity to do the free optional tour the Glass Craftsman Demonstration visiting a Glass Factory very close to Saint Mark's square (20 minutes tour). Please follow the instruction that our staff will provide to you locally.
- Meeting point: St. Mark's Square - Clock Tower near exchange office (the white building with blue clock facade). Our assistant will wait for you with the sign “TOUR”.
- Timetable: every day at 09:00 AM. Please, be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the departure time.
- Availability:From 1st April 2018 to 31st March 2020. The tour does not operate 25th December - 1st January - 16th, 23th February and in case of exceptional high tide.
- Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Languages, the visit is monolingual: from April to October: English, French, Spanish and German every day - Italian only on Saturday.
From November to March: English every day - German on Monday and Friday - French on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday - Spanish on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Inclusion: Shared guided walking tour with commentary by a qualified and experienced guide – “Skip the line” Doge’s Palace – Audio receiver devices are included in case of groups over 10 people – Glass craftsman at work close to Saint Mark’s Square - Entrance ticket valid to visit by yourself the palace around St. Mark’s Square (Old Royal Palace now Museo Correr, Museo Archeologico Nazionale and Monumental rooms of the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana)
- Price: € 56 - Free under 6 years old - From 1st April: € 64 - per person - Free under 6 years old
- Sale: Free sale until the beginning of the tour
- Cancellation: bookings can be cancelled with no charge up to 24 hours before the service. Tours does not operate in case of exceptional high tide or in case of unplanned religious functions (in these cases it can be postponed to the day after otherwise it will be refunded).
This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities.
Audio-receiver devices are included in case of groups over 10 people.
Tour does not operate on 25 December and 1st January and in case of exceptionally high tide.
Comfortable shoes suggested.
For security reasons sacks, bags or knapsacks are not allowed inside Doge’s Palace: FREE DEPOSIT INSIDE.
The tour is not considered private but it is shared with other guests not belonging to the same party.
Mobile voucers are accepted.
For general conditions refer to our brochure “Discovering Venice”.
HOW TO REACH THE MEETING POINT:
ARRIVING BY PUBLIC VAPORETTO
Take line #1 and get off at “San Marco Vallaresso” stop or line #2 and get off at “San Marco Giardinetti” stop. Once you get off the vaporetto, turn right and go straight on to the two columns, then turn left and reach Saint Mark’s Square. Once by the Bell Tower, go straight on leaving the Basilica on your right and you find the assistant waiting for you with the signboard TOUR under the Clock Tower.
ARRIVING ON FOOT
The Clock Tower is located in Saint Mark’s Square. Once by the Bell Tower, go straight on leaving the Basilica on your right and you will find the assistant waiting for you with the signboard TOUR under the Clock Tower.
REF. CODE FOR OPERATORS ONLY: VTDUCALT