Discover the 16th prisons of the Venetian Republic, one of the earliest jails in Europe, created in 1500 and linked to the Doge’s Palace through the famous Bridge of Sighs. Nowadays the Palace, that overlooks the stunning Riva Degli Schiavoni, is home of an important Venetian cultural institution.
An amazing itinerary in which you will be accompanied through places never visited until now: enter in the in the imposing courtroom and in the dark cells, you will discover the lifestyle of the prisoners, what they ate, drank and where they slept. See the authentic graffiti left by the inmates and listen about the exciting Casanova’s jailbreak: he managed to escape from the maximum-security jail known as “Piombi”!
The route arrives until today and the many cultural activities that take place in.
Listen to the myths and legends that still live inside these cold cells and halls. Along the route you’ll enjoy the explanation of the powerful “Council of The Ten”, composed by the highest Venice Politicians that oversaw the justice in all Venetian domains.
Since the birth of the Republic, Venice has been always careful to the administration of justice, of which used to do proudly with own judicial system. composed by courts, lawyers and magistrates. One of the main points was the operating police used to resolve fights and punish the perpetrators of crimes.
- Meeting point: Palazzo Delle Prigioni, beside the Doge’s Palace in Piazza San Marco
- Ending point: same place
- Availability & operation: From 6th December 2019 to 31st October 2020. Tour does not take on 25th December – 1st January. The tour does not operate from the 15th Novemeber until the 15th December. 25th December and 1st January
- Departure and meeting: Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Until 31st July 2020: every day at 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
From 1st August: Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
and 4:00 PM
- Inclusion: Live commentary – Entrance skip the line to the prison palace and its secret itinerary
- Duration: 45 minutes
- Languages: English, French and Italian (the tour could be multilingual)
- Gross price public rate: Adult € 15 per person – Free under 6 years old
- Sale & Reservation: Free sale until the beginning of the tour. No minimum participants - Maximum 15 pax.
- Cancellation: bookings can be cancelled with no charge up to 24 hours before the service. The tour can be cancelled in case of exceptional high tide, in this case the tour can be rescheduled the day after otherwise the client will be refunded.
- Voucher: You should have the voucher where is written “service provided by Venice Tours Srl”.
- Commission: refer to contract
- Confirmation: Please ask clients to NOT to reconfirm
Unfortunately, this tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities.
Comfortable shoes suggested.
For general conditions refer to our brochure "Discover Venice".
In Piazza San Marco, with the Doge’s Palace in front of you and the S.Mark’s Basin at your back, go on the right, cross the Bridge (from where you see the Bridge of Sighs) and then look on the left, you will see the entrance of the Palazzo delle Prigioni.